Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Temporary Condition: FEBRUARY 2



Starting today's set off with Soko in her sweet tone, dropping f-bombs left and right feels like a manifesto of sorts, like dresses with army boots. I feel that way sometimes, I can wear a flowery dress and show of my girly assets while still being able to be strong and frank and swear like a sailor, if that is the point I need to make. Femininity and Toughness are not mutually exclusive.

Then of course, I am also playing some old school gospel, because really, no one sings with such fierceness as Etta James speaking to her lord. I'm also throwing in some Young @ Heart choir, because it reminds me of home. If you don't know about them, learn. They are a senior citizen choir, hailing from my hometown, that sings contemporary music. You have to be 65 to join. I'm counting the days until I can get in, because really this is all temporary, a new horizon and possibility with every aspect of life. Maybe today I will learn and tomorrow I will teach or vice versa. Paint or Sing. Now I will take to the stage and tomorrow I will exit. It's all temporary.

Like ex-boyfriends you want to swear at as Soko sings about, who eventually go away and a new one steps in. You just have to hang on. As The Talking Heads say "Never for money. Always for love." Maybe that can be the permanent amongst this temporary condition of living.

PLAYLIST:

Soko: Ex-Boyfriends

Jessie Baylin: I Feel That, Too

Aloe Blacc: Green Lights

Young @ Heart Choir: Fix You

Voices of Deliverance: Power of God

Talking Heads: This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)

Stew: Statue Song

The Spinners: O-o-h Child

Shirley Ann Lee: How Can I Lose

Roky Erikson: Goodbye Sweet Dreams

Patti Smith: Kimberly

Nina Simone: Children Go Where I Send Thee

Gil Scot-Heron: Where Did The Night Go
I Was Guided
New York Is Killing Me

Etta James: Oh Happy Day


No comments: